Dunedin South Lions Annual Taieri Gorge Rail Walk Sunday 5th May 2019
Dunedin Railways is proud to support the Dunedin South Lions, who will be running their successful fundraising walk for the 11th year in 2019, where guests will travel on the iconic Taieri Gorge Train, followed by a walk through the picturesque Taieri Gorge.
The recipient of this year’s fundraising event is Presbyterian Support Otago, and funds raised will go towards further education for three youth workers, to obtain their Certificate in Youth Development.
About the trip
Departing at 8.30am from the Dunedin Railway Station, the train will wind its way through the Taieri Gorge to Flat Stream. Passengers disembark at this point and walk approx. 2 to 2 ½ hours to Deep Stream. The gentle gradient walk includes historic bridges and tunnels, finishing with a delicious sausage sizzle before boarding the train in Hindon, returning to Dunedin.
Tickets are $59.00 and numbers are limited, so don’t delay in booking your seat to enjoy this unique experience.
*Please note, no children under 10 years are permitted on the walk. Children over 10 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
To book your seat, please email [email protected] or phone (03)4774449
The Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 requires us to identify potential hazards of this walk. All passengers must read and familiarise themselves with the following instructions:
Please LISTEN to all public announcements whilst on the train journey.
- Please take special notice of all instructions from Lions’ members.
- No children under 10 years are permitted on the walk. Children over 10 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Off-loading and reloading the carriages: Extreme care is required as you climb down and climb aboard the train – please ensure you return to your original carriage and seat positions.
- You are requested to walk between the tracks, if possible, at all times. Should you find this too difficult, extreme care will be necessary when walking on the ballast, loose gravel and / or water table.
- No running or pushing, throughout walk.
- No passing, unless permission is granted from those being passed.
- BRIDGES – please walk in single file, between tracks or on walkway. You must walk on bridge walkway not sleepers. Extra care must be taken when stepping on and off bridge walkways.
- Do not run or jump on the bridges
- Do not lean on or over any hand rails
- Do not climb or walk on Bridge Abutments or plinth stones.
- Extra care is required if bridge walkways, etc. are wet.
- Extra care to be taken when walking in windy conditions.
- Extreme care throughout the walk and especially in the tunnels. Use your torches and be aware of the danger with tinted glasses in dark spaces.
- DO NOT touch Possum bait stations, dead animals alongside tracks.
- If someone requires assistance, please stop and assist.
- If you have any problems or require assistance, please ask a Lions Club Member or helper for assistance - we are identified by Hi Visibility vests and name tags.
- A brief description of the gorge history is available in leaflet form.
- If it is raining or muddy, please ensure, to best of your ability, that before boarding the train your shoes/boots are as clean as possible.
- Please take extreme care at all times. If you are requested to move off the railway line by a member of the Lions Club or Dunedin Railways employee, at any time, please do so immediately and do not return to the line until asked to do so.
MINIMUM EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT:
CLOTHING: Clothing suitable for an outdoor tramp which will protect from wind and rain
TORCH: Please bring a good torch for walking through the tunnels FOOTWEAR: Low heeled sturdy footwear – preferably above ankle boots
SUN PROTECTION: Sun hats, cream and glasses
MEDICATION: Medication for allergies or insect bites
FOOD: Snacks, lunch, water etc; suitable for 2-3 hours; all rubbish to be carried out
“Absolutely amazing scenery, comfortable ride - everybody was happy and enjoying themselves.”
“Wonderful trip, great commentary, would recommend without hesitation.”
“Best trip ever!!!”